news & events
Congratulations to Dr Peter Koh whose paper (Koh et al., 2019) has been commended in the First Editorial of Food Security (https://link.springer.com/journal/12571) in 2020 for being “a rare and exceptionally well-documented study” on the physical access to food.
Reference: Koh, K., Reno, R., & Hyder, A. (2019). Examining disparities in food accessibility among households in Columbus, Ohio: An agent-based model. Food Security, 11, 317–331.
Professor Phyllis Li has been interviewed on Radio 5 on strategic planning in December, 2019.
Professor Phyllis Li’s interview by SCMP on facilitating science and technology development in Hong Kong has been reported on 7.1.2019.
Congratulations to our colleague Ben Iaquinto and wife Julie for giving birth to a baby girl in January 2020.
Congratulations to Jinbao for winning the Second Class Award of the Ministry of Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award (2019年度高等學校科學研究優秀成果獎). The title of his award-winning research output (with co-authors D Zhang, H Lee, Q Pei and C Wang) is “Quantitative Analysis of Climate Change and Human Crises in History”. An award presentation ceremony will be held in June, 2020.
- The Department of Geography is now an Education Member of the Hong Kong Alliance of Built Asset & Environment Information Management Association (HKABAEIMA).
Congratulations to Mr JIANG Ronghao (PhD candidate under the supervision of Professor George Lin) for winning the “2020 Best Graduate Student Paper Award” from the China Geography Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers (AAG). This annual competitive award of US$300 is in recognition of his paper entitled, “Placing China’s Land Marketization: The State, Market, and Changing Geography of Land Use in Chinese Cities.”
Dr. Benjamin L Iaquinto’s interview by Hong Kong Economic Journal Monthly on the impact of the pandemic on the tourism industry (過度旅遊釀「完美風暴」人類自食其果) has been reported on 1 April 2020. For more details, please visit https://monthly.hkej.com/monthly/article/id/2423403 (Chinese Vision Only).
Congratulations to Miss HE Lisha (PhD candidate under the supervision of Dr M. Bennett) for winning the “Best Student Paper in Economic Geography” from the Economic Geography Specialty Group of the American Association of Geographers (AAG). This annual competitive award of US$200 is in recognition of her paper entitled, "The rise of Chinese foreign investment in the United States: Disentangling investment strategies of state-owned and private enterprises."
- Congratulations to Mr TSOI Ka Ho (PhD candidate under the supervision of Professor Becky P.Y. Loo) for winning in the 2020 Esri Young Scholars Award (Hong Kong) as the Champion! He will win a trip to attend the Esri User Conference in San Diego, California, USA. Together with the first- and second-runner-ups, he will be awarded a summer internship place at the Urban Renewal Authority. See http://www.esrichina.hk/ysa/Result_Announcement.aspx
Congratulations to the following five Geography undergraduate students (in alphabetical order of surname) for being accepted to participate in the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Programme (URFP) 2020-2021:
- Miss Au Wai Yu Valerie on “Potential Contribution of Social Networking Technologies in Achieving Communal Sustainability via Behavioural Changes in Energy Consumption” under the supervision of Dr Ben Iaquinto
- Mr Choi Chun Hin on “Towards Equitable and Sustainable Transportation: Accessibility Analysis in Tseung Kwan O, Hong Kong” under the supervision of Professor PC Lai
- Miss Lo Wai on “To Examine the Extent of Sociocultural Livability Development of Foshan City under the Guidance of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area (GBA) Plan” under the supervision of Professor George Lin
- Miss Ma Fong Ching on “Discussing the Effectiveness of Waste Management in Hong Kong” under the supervision of Dr Lishan Ran
- Mr Ng Ka Yiu on “Decadal Variation of the Impacts of El Nino on Hong Kong Winter Precipitation and its Relation to the Pacific Decadal Oscillation” under the supervision of Dr Jinbao Li
Five of them have also been awarded an internship award of HK$10,000! Please join us in celebrating the hard work of our Geography students.
- Congratulations to Mr. CHO Hin Ting Frankie, an MPhil graduate in our Department, for being selected as one of the winners of the Award for Outstanding Research Postgraduate Student (ORPS) in 2018-2019. Mr Frankie CHO was supervised by Dr Wendy Chen. Well done, Frankie and Wendy!
- Dr Steven Zhang has been awarded the the prestigious China's Excellent Young Scientists Fund 2020 (優秀青年科學基金 (港澳). HKU Geography is very proud of you, congratulations! See https://www.hku.hk/press/press-releases/detail/21629.html#:~:text=Seven%20HKU%20young%20scientists%20awarded%20China's%20Excellent%20Young%20Scientists%20Fund%202020,-20%20Sep%202020&text=Young%20researchers%20at%20the%20University,Kong%20and%20Macau)%20for%202020.
- Congratulations to Professor Becky P.Y. Loo who has been appointed as a Justice of Peace (JP) by the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) Government on 1 October, 2020 for her outstanding contribution to the community.